In my book, there is one item in your wardrobe that will never go out of style -- a great pair of vintage boots! They will serve you well for years to come. Not only do they complete an outfit right when you buy them, a pair of boots look better and better as they age, get scuffed up, and become a part of you.
My favorite fashion items are those that can be dressed up and dressed down, the kind of piece you can wear anywhere, anytime. When in doubt, my vintage boots are my “go to.” Those of you who know a little bit about me know I am all about getting outside and kicking around in the dirt. Along with many of your favorite stars, I also love to wear my boots on the red carpet.
Where does one find a great pair of vintage boots? Well, that’s easy! Start at your local vintage store (or thrift store for those of you who need a translation!) You can usually find a pair of rustic cowboy boots or any type boot for anywhere between $20 and $80 dollars. If you are a true bargain hunter, another great place to try is Ebay. I came across a great story recently on www.dimlights.com about how Jessica Simpson ordered a pair of red vintage cowboy boots on Ebay and wore them in her video “These Boots are Made for Walkin’." As good-ol’ grandma always used to say, “It doesn’t matter where you shop as long as you’ve got style!!” Love Her!
And gents, don’t think I have forgotten about you. Not only do vintage boots look amazing with a great pair of jeans (see previous Look Like a Soap Star article), you can wear a great pair of rugged cowboy boots with a suit and actually get away with it! It’s unique, edgy and very hip. My husband’s (Kyle Lowder, Rick Forrester on “Bold and The Beautiful”) favorite boot to wear is the “Harness” boot from Frye’s. Check out all the styles at www.fryeboots.com , find one that appeals to your personality and then find the look for less at Ebay!
A cool leather necklace or bracelet is the perfect accessory to compliment this look. I’d recommend the Double-wrap leather bracelet or Dragon Tail necklace – both suitable for men and women, available at www.lowdsuga.com .
By the way, here are some Do’s and Don’ts and what to look for in your vintage boots:
1. Do look for unique boots in fun “warm” colors – red, orange, tan – for a casual look.
2. Don’t buy cowboy boots in any color -- blue or even white -- unless you really want to attract attention and not for the right reasons.
3. Do buy black boots if you want a dressier look.
4. Do buy boots that go all the way up to your knee – they look great with a pair of skinny jeans tucked in.
5. Do wear skirts, dresses or even jean shorts with your boots. It never hurts to show a little leg.
6. Do keep your boots even if you don’t want to ear them all the time. They will become like an old friend.
7. Do look for intricate stitching. It gives the boots more character.
8. Don’t buy boots with rhinestones on them unless you are Dolly Parton or you plan on getting rid of them the minute all things bling, bling go out of style,